Plane sailing at airshow

TODAY'S online calendar picture is a shot of a spectacular fly-over at RAF Halton's open weekend.

Thanks to Gordon Rennie of Watermead for today's picture which shows two huge jumbos being escorted in close proximity by two jets.

The first recorded military aviation at Halton took place in 1913 when the then owner of the Halton estate, Alfred de Rothschild invited 3 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps to conduct manoeuvres on his land.

Following a gentleman's agreement between Alfred de Rothschild and Lord Kitchener, the estate was used by the British Army throughout the First World War. In 1916 the Royal Flying Corps moved its air mechanics school from Farnborough, Hampshire to Halton and in 1917 the school was permanently accommodated in workshops built by German PoWs. The whole estate was purchased by the British Government for the nascent Royal Air Force at the end of the First World War.

We are still welcoming your pictures, send them to us by clicking here.