Ducks keep the pressure on league leaders with big win

Pete Gorley scores Aylesbury's fifth try. Picture Mark Bannister Photography
Pete Gorley scores Aylesbury's fifth try. Picture Mark Bannister Photography

Aylesbury will go into Christmas just five points behind Southern Counties North leaders Reading Abbey following a 32-5 win over Swindon at the weekend.

Most of the damage was done in the first half as three tries saw them lead 22-5 at the interval before they crossed the touchline twice more in the second period to secure a third straight win.

Head coach Dave Larham said afterwards: “We had to battle hard to get the four-try bonus point that was the ultimate aim of the fixture for us. We started slow and looked too relaxed and complacent at times in the first half.

“The players understood at half-time the need to improve their work rate and quality of possession at the breakdown.

“We saw improvements and secured the bonus-point win after the introduction of three experienced replacements.

“I thought flanker Peter Gorley stood out in the forwards, while I was delighted with the performances of our four teenage backs. We now get a much-needed break and look forward to the second half of the season with ambitions to improve our performances and enjoy ourselves.”

Aylesbury’s team bus headed down to Wiltshire for the final game of 2015 where they would face league strugglers Swindon College Old Boys.

The visitors were looking to consolidate or improve on their third place in the league with a bonus-point win at Swindon who are currently winless and propping up the league table.

After weathering a strong start from the home side, Aylesbury put the first points on the board thanks to a James Woodfall penalty and it wasn’t long until they had their first try of the game when Gary Horne found a way through the home defence to touch down.

Woodfall added the extras to put Aylesbury 10-0 ahead before a second try from Nicky Mercer, again converted by Woodfall, put the visitors in total control.

Aylesbury’s third try came from a kick and chase as Woodfall chipped over the defending Swindon players from the halfway line. The resulting foot race was won by Matt Dennis, who touched down by the corner flag.

Woodfall’s conversion attempt went wide of the posts but despite Swindon replying through a try of their own, the Ducks held a comfortably 22-5 lead at half-time.

The second half saw Ay’s battling to secure that elusive bonus-point fourth try but as in the first half, the visitors were being made to work for every inch of territory.

Finally, as the game moved into the final quarter, substitute centre Mike Durose broke through the defending Swindon players and sprinted from half way to score in the corner.

Aylesbury quickly secured a fifth try as hard-working flanker Pete Gorley went on a powerful tackle busting run to touch down in the corner.

The final score of 32-5 sees Aylesbury move up into second place in the league ahead of a three week break with the Ducks returning to action on January 9, 2016, when they visit Beaconsfield.