Frustrating weekend for Nicosia at Thruxton

Geri Nicosia at Thruxton. Picture: Jakob Ebrey
Geri Nicosia at Thruxton. Picture: Jakob Ebrey

Geri Nicosia endured a frustrating and “disappointing” weekend in rounds five and six of the Ginetta Junior Championship held at Thruxton earlier this month.

There are only two braking points in a 2.4 mile lap at Thruxton, which is Britain’s fastest circuit, and the Ginettas lap with average speed in excess of 90mph.

Previous testing had suggested Geri would be competitive here, but after setting the fastest lap at the start of qualifying, he fell back to 13th by the end of the session in a grid that was completely mixed up as a number of the quicker drivers were further back than expected.

The 15-year-old, from Princes Risborough, experienced a mixed first race, round five of the championship, as a good start saw him gain two places, but he then two lost under a yellow flag as the safety car came out for the first time.

The incident had involved Nicosia and Lewis Brown, who ran alongside the Sir William Borlase pupil round the back of the circuit and attempted to overtake through the chicane, spinning and being hit by a following car.

When the race resumed, Nicosia again moved up two places as cars went off in front of him, the following lap another places as lady racer Esmee Hawkey spun under pressure going into the chicane.

On the final lap, the championship leader Proctor, who had been caught up in an earlier incident, managed to pass Nicosia despite a valiant attempt to regain the position, leaving the local racer 14th as he reached the chequered flag. Post race this became 13th as one of the drivers who had overtaken under yellow received a penalty which demoted him to behind Nicosia.

Later in the afternoon, Nicosia lined up again in 13th place for round six. It was another tight start as all the cars left the line and accelerated through the first two corners.

Nicosia was in the inside, which translated to being on the outside at the left hander. There was an opportunity to overtake, but as he passed one car, another in front was knocked into his path, and the ensuing accident knocked the Danish car fully two feet into the air, and also damaging Nicosia’s car in the process.

Through the rest of the race, his bonnet would keep opening as the speed built up and for over half of each lap where the speed was over 100mph, Nicosia was driving blind, only able to see out of the side windows to work out where he was on the track.

Predictably, this was slowing his lap times and he was unable to defend when other drivers made a pass – despite this Nicosia completed the race and finished in 15th place after taking one place back on the final lap.

Afterwards, Nicosia said: “It’s been a disappointing weekend, we need to qualify better so we don’t get caught up in mid-field incidents.

“But we have some more points where we might have had none and we will continue to look forwards.”

Nicosia is now 14th in the championship, with the next rounds at Oulton Park on June 7