Weather plays havoc with ADL schedule but Sunday League survives

First for sports news
First for sports news

There was frustration for many at the weekend as torrential rain played havoc with the Aylesbury & District Football League’s schedule.

Despite the warmest December for years, the local league finally succumbed to the weather this season as three cup games were all called off on Saturday, meaning not one local game took place.

The forecast looks more promising this week with a full round of ADL games scheduled as the four divisions return to action alongside several cup games.

In the Berks & Bucks Intermediate Cup, APBS host Olney Town and New Zealand entertain Pitstone & Ivinghoe, while Aylesbury Dynamos face Cookham Dean in the second round of the Wycombe Senior Cup.

There are six Tom Sparkes League Cup games, which are: Great Milton v FC Spandits, Oving v Wingrave, Long Marston v FC Mandeville Reserves, Rivets Sports v Bucks CC and Walton Court Wanderers v Haddenham United.

In the ADL Premier Division, Wendover have the chance to go top when they travel to relegation-threatened FC Mandeville, while Division One leaders St Johns Sports host Tring Town AFC.

Two Touch moved closer to retaining the Aylesbury Sunday Combination league title after another win as they eased to a comprehensive 7-1 victory over Bucks FC.

Sean Coles was the standout performer with a hat-trick while Alex Woodfine, Kedge Jeffrey, Connor Bignall and Jeanmal Prosper all scored one each, with Ray Long scoring the consolation for Bucks.

The result puts Two Touch eight points clear at the top with four games remaining.

Weavers Warriors, who have not lost a league game since the opening day of the season, leapfrogged above Bucks to fourth on goal difference following a 6-0 thrashing of Chearsley Cricketers.

Two free-kicks from Paul Shears plus further goals from John Kelleher, Daniel O’Sullivan, Jack Knight, and Sam Eaton saw Weavers to a comfortable victory.

Aylesbury New Zealand were unable to raise a side for their league clash against Last Post FC in the Vale of Aylesbury Cup and therefore forfeited the game.