Wadkins double inspires Moles to fifth straight win

Aylesbury FC players congratulate James Weatherill on his penalty save against Rugby. Picture by Paul Paxford
Aylesbury FC players congratulate James Weatherill on his penalty save against Rugby. Picture by Paul Paxford
Share this article

Aylesbury FC extended their winning run to five league games with a fully deserved 2-0 home victory over fellow promotion hopefuls Rugby Town on Saturday.

The win keeps Aylesbury third in the table and closes the gap to second-placed Bedworth United to just two points ahead of this Saturday’s home game against Marlow.

Moles manager Steve Bateman named the same team that had won at Bedford last weekend, with new signing Terry Dixon and the returning Adam Logie on the bench.

In front of 283 fans, Rugby made a quick start as the visitors enjoyed plenty of early possession on a difficult pitch with a slip from Ben Stevens letting in Mitch Piggon, but the Rugby man fired over.

Aylesbury grew into the game and saw Lynton Goss twice go close, while at the other end, James Weatherill produced a sharp save when he tipped the ball on to the post and the follow-up shot was denied by a last-ditch lunge from Daniel Murphy.

The home side then seized control of the contest and had chances to go ahead through Murphy and then Kyle Anthony before FC’s good play was rewarded with the opening goal on 31 minutes.

Brian Haule found himself on the left edge of the box and he cut the ball back to Wadkins, who smashed the ball into the roof of the net for a well-deserved lead.

Rugby had a glorious chance to level before half-time when Piggon was fouled by Weatherill in the penalty area, but the FC goalkeeper, who has become a penalty saving specialist having saved his last three, made amends by brilliantly palming away Sam Youngs’ spot-kick.

The Moles continued their domination of the game after the restart and they eventually put breathing space between themselves and Rugby with a second goal on 69 minutes.

Lynton Goss picked up the ball on the right and fired in a low cross which was met by the sliding Wadkins for his second goal of the game.

That was to be the pivotal moment of the game as from then on Aylesbury never looked in any danger of conceding and the home side ran out fully deserved winners.

Bateman’s side host Marlow this weekend before travelling to local rivals Aylesbury United on New Year’s Day.