VIDEO: Moles snatch last-gasp win

editorial image

Aylesbury FC returned to winning ways in dramatic fashion when Ben Stevens snatched all three points with an injury-time header against Uxbridge on Saturday.

The Moles produced a good performance against a discipline Uxbridge side but they had to rely on Stevens’ late goal to take the spoils.

The victory sees Steve Bateman’s side rise to seventh in Division One Central of the Southern League.

Bateman tweeted afterwards: “Welcome three points today against a well organised Uxbridge team. Not firing on all cylinders at the moment but I’m sure that will come.”

After defeat at Potters Bar Town last week, FC brought in Ben Stevens and Jon Montgomery and it was the home side who were quickest out of the blocks and after just three minutes a driven cross from the right by Ryan O’Toole looked like it was going to find the diving head of Brian Haule but the big striker could only glance the ball wide.

Soon after, a long ball from the back from Ben Stevens found James Dobson on the left edge of the box but his shot was saved by McCarthey in the Uxbridge goal.

Aylesbury continued to create the clearer chances with Haule and O’Toole both shooting over the crossbar before Kyle Anthony slipped through James Dobson, whose weak shot was saved in the last action of a goalless first half.

Uxbridge took advantage of FCs slow start to the second half and almost immediately were one up, a ball into the FC box wasn’t dealt with and from nowhere, Lewis Cole pounced and fired past James Weatherill for the lead.

The Moles responded well to that setback, though, and were back on level terms within five minutes when Dobson’s ball found O’Toole in the box and his shot cannoned back out to the onrushing Dobson, who fired home low and hard into the corner from 25 yards.

Although Aylesbury were now in the ascendancy, it was Uxbridge who should have taken the lead on 70 minutes, a corner fired in found Mitchell Wiseman free at the back post but he headed weakly wide.

Dobson then again grazed the post with another 25 yard screamer and with just minutes to go, neat interplay between substitute Gareth Price and Ken Feyi saw the young striker get to the byline and cut the ball back to Davis Haule, who could only screw his shot wide and the home fans thought that was that.

But there was still time for one last twist as with three minutes of stoppage time played, a corner fizzed in by Danny Murphy was met by Stevens and his bullet header into the back of the net settled the game.

Aylesbury are in league action again this weekend when they host Ware at Haywood Way.