VIDEO: Moles see unbeaten run end by league leaders

Kings Langley's Gary Connolly volleys the ball home for the first goal. Picture (c) Chris Riddell
Kings Langley's Gary Connolly volleys the ball home for the first goal. Picture (c) Chris Riddell

Aylesbury FC’s six-game unbeaten run came to an end on Saturday when they were beaten 2-0 by Division One Central leaders Kings Langley.

Both goals came in the latter stages after an even encounter that yielded plenty of half chances but few clear-cut ones.

The defeat leaves Aylesbury seventh and eight points adrift of the play-offs having played less games than all of those around them.

Brian Haule, Davis Haule and Aston Goss were all missing for the trip and this meant Rob Tomlin filled in at full-back, Jonny Montgomery returned in midfield and Terry Dixon started up front.

FC also gave a debut to Eddie Smith, a proven goalscorer at this level, and he struck a rising shot after just a couple of minutes.

Daniel Murphy fired a free-kick disappointingly wide while at the other end, Danny Gordon blocked David Hutton’s attempt before the Langley man was then denied by a fine James Weatherill save.

The first half continued to be one of half chances as Lynton Goss played in Murphy who flashed a shot wide before Weatherill made routine saves from Gary Connelly and Emmanuel Forlan.

The first half ended with a flurry of activity as FC created their best chance of the game when Dixon floated in a cross for Smith and the debutant crashed a shot just wide in the last action of goalless first half.

Gordon again made a vital block in the early stages of the second half, this time from Steve Ward, before Callum Adebiyi glanced a header wide when well-placed.

Kieron Schmidt then had a clear sight of goal but could only fire wide and the Moles were left to rue that miss moments later.

On 70 minutes, Kings Langley played the ball into the box and Connelly was on hand to volley past Weatherill and into the bottom corner.

Kings Langley’s second goal wasn’t long in coming as they asserted their grip on the game. This time the work was on the right when Stuart Deaton took a couple of touches but then an unfortunate slip by Gordon allowed the Kings man a run on goal before he unleashed a powerful shot into the top corner.

Gareth Price was still looking for an opening and his turn and shot on 83 minutes tested home keeper Comas but this was to be the last real chance of an entertaining but ultimately pointless game for the men in red.

Aylesbury are in action again tonight, Tuesday, away at bottom side North Greenford and this weekend they host second-bottom Leighton Town.