United make swift exit from FA Trophy

Tony Joyce
Tony Joyce

Aylesbury United remain without a home win this season after going down to a 2-1 defeat at home to Heybridge Swifts in the FA Trophy.

Following two encouraging away performances, including knocking Premier Division Redditch out of the Red Insure Cup last Saturday, the Ducks returned to Thame for this FA Trophy first round clash against Heybridge, who currently sit bottom of Ryman League Northern Division with just four points from their opening nine matches

Ducks manager Tony Joyce chose to restore Billy Adcock and Lee Grace to the starting line-up, with Ash Farmer dropping to the bench and Greg Williams unavailable.

After a scrappy start, the hosts were first to threaten when Nathan Tshikuna whipped in a dangerous cross which Eoin Casey just failed to get a touch on as it flashed through the penalty area.

Two minutes later, Stacey Field won the ball from visiting captain Daniel Barber in the right channel, swivelled, and fired in a first-time shot too close to the keeper.

Billy Hunt had the away side’s first opportunity, firing his first-time effort wide of goal, before the same man fluffed his lines with just keeper Alex Tokarczyk to beat.

Jack Wood then crashed a header against the post while Lee Grace curled an effort wide before Billy Adcock was also denied by the woodwork when shooting from distance as United pushed for the opener before half-time.

They were unable to find it, though, and instead it was the visitors who struck first in controversial style when, on 63 minutes, Joshua Fagbohun seemed to unfairly shove Wood to the ground but the officials waved for play to continue and the forward advanced into the penalty area and placed a shot across Tokarczyk into the far corner.

Joyce responded by introducing Taylor Collins and Lewis Osborne, and that immediately had the desired impact when, four minutes later, Collins beat his marker and crossed for Grace to scramble home from close range.

The scores remained level for just eight minutes, however, as again Fagbohun was the tormentor of the Ducks’ defence. A ball through the centre saw him challenge Tokarczyk on the edge of the area. As the Ducks appealed for a foul, the ball fell to Hunt who calmly stroked the ball home to restore the lead.

Three minutes later Fagbohun overstepped the mark. He challenged Wood and as the Ducks skipper fell to the ground, the striker kicked him in the head, leaving the referee no option but to send him off.

With the visitors down a man, there was renewed hope that the Ducks could get back into the tie, but there was to be no equaliser and it was who Heybridge advanced through.

Aylesbury return to action on Wednesday when they host St Ives Town in a Southern League clash.