Tring Athletic make a point in London Colney stalemate

Tring Athletic entertained in-form SSML Premier Division leaders London Colney and battled to a 0-0 draw on a chilly and blustery day at The Grass Roots Stadium.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 29th November 2015, 4:24 pm
Joe Naylor in action for Tring Athletic against London Colney. Picture (c) Richard Solk
Joe Naylor in action for Tring Athletic against London Colney. Picture (c) Richard Solk

London Colney have carried on where they left off from last season by competing for top spot, however they came up against a resolute young Athletic side who fought for every ball and in the end probably deserved a share of the points.

Athletic welcomed back Taylor Collins, who has returned to the club after a stint at Aylesbury United.

The first half saw Athletic kicking down the slope with the wind initially behind them, but it was London Colney who mostly dominated possession throughout the half, with Tring conceding several free-kicks around their penalty area and passes going astray.

Athletic did have a decent spell, however, where they put London Colney’s defence under pressure with two quick corners and two free-kicks.

Just before half-time, a fine cross by Lee Stobbs narrowly eluded Joe Naylor at the near post.

The expectancy was that London Colney would throw everything at Athletic in the second half, kicking downhill and with the wind behind them, and so it proved to be.

Three minutes after the restart Stefan Geraldis collected the ball on the left, cut inside and shot, but Matt Evans managed to clear with his legs.

Athletic were desperately trying to push forward but it was the visitors who had another chance in the 59th minute, however Tring had plenty of players behind the ball to block the chance.

Athletic did create an opening when Naylor found Kieran Turner whose shot went wide from an angle.

Shortly afterwards, Kieran Turner collected the ball inside the London Colney half, before dribbling past two defenders and forcing a good stop from visiting keeper Charlie May.

Further opportunities fell to London Colney but these were from long range and easily dealt with by Evans as the game finished all square.