Ton up for Field as Ducks hit back to sink Daventry

Aylesbury United's Stacey Field scored his 100th goal for the club against Daventry
Aylesbury United's Stacey Field scored his 100th goal for the club against Daventry

Aylesbury United backed up last week’s Berks & Bucks Cup semi-final success with a return to winning ways in the league on Saturday as they came from a goal down to win 3-1 away at Daventry Town.

Tony Joyce named an unchanged starting line-up from Tuesday’s cup win at Marlow, with U18 graduates Daniel Pounds and Alex Little named on the bench, but it was the home side who made the stronger start as only a block from Tinashe Chabata prevented Andrew Musungu from giving Daventry the lead on two minutes.

Town required just four more minutes to go ahead, however, when Robbie Cundy made the most of some questionable Ducks defending and put his firm header past Tahj Bell.

This seemed to serve as a wake-up call for the visitors, who hit straight back and levelled within four minutes when Greg Williams’ mis-hit shot was met at the far post by Stacey Field, who tapped home his 100th goal for the club.

Buoyed by the goal, Aylesbury were now in the ascendency and continued to press with Lewis Putman’s cross met by Field, but his shot was straight at Ben Heath in the home goal.

United’s second goal wasn’t long in coming though, with Williams guiding a near post corner into the net to put his side ahead for the first time.

It should have been three within moments as Field’s raking crossfield ball was met by Jake Bewley but his first-time shot was too close to Heath, however Bewley made no mistake six minutes later when he flicked on Shane Wood’s long throw to make it 3-1 on the half-hour mark.

Daventry’s main attacking threat came from Ricky Hill’s long throws and the first half ended with Bell making a smart save to deny Anthony O’Connor as the Ducks maintained their lead through to the break.

As in the first period, the hosts attacked from the start with Ben Farrell’s first-time shot just clearing the angle of post and bar, but United threatened a fourth as Lewis Putman blasted over from 15 yards while substitute Joey Acheampong saw his effort deflected just wide.

Chances continued to come at both ends with both Miles Welch-Hayes and Ashley Deeney shooting over the crossbar for Daventry and Jack Wood drilling an effort a whisker wide for United.

Although the game flowed from end-to-end, neither side could find another goal as Putman stung Heath’s hands with a fierce shot and Field could only find the side-netting for an Aylesbury side who were well worth the three points.

That victory completed an excellent week for the Ducks, who reached the final of the Berks & Bucks Cup after goals from Steve Hatch, Lewis Putman and Bill Morgan earned them a 3-1 victory away at Marlow last Tuesday.

United will face either Maidenhead United or Chesham United in the final.

Aylesbury, who are now 14th in Division One Central of the Southern League, are in action twice over the next week. On Saturday, they welcome Potters Bar Town to Bell Close, and next Tuesday, the Ducks travel to Uxbridge. Both are league encounters.