Rangers thrash rivals Amersham to boost promotion hopes

Risborough manager Bob Rayner
Risborough manager Bob Rayner

Risborough Rangers bounced back from last week’s home defeat against Bedford with a much-needed 4-0 victory over local rivals Amersham Town to keep their faint promotion hopes alive in SSML Division One.

In last Tuesday’s match against fellow high-flyers Bedford, Risborough twice hit the post in the first half through Jamie Shrimpton and Martin Griggs, but two late goals from the visitors sealed all three points to dent Rangers’ promotion ambitions.

Risborough responded in style, however, and moved back up to fifth place with an excellent 4-0 win over bottom side Amersham in a match that saw the hosts completely dominate possession and create countless chances.

The visitors came into the game having taken just a single point from a possible 63 - which came in the reverse fixture between the two - and it was no surprise that Ranges took control from the outset.

In fact, the hosts needed just 17 seconds to go ahead when, straight from kick-off, the ball was passed back to goalkeeper Ben Lazarus, whose attempted clearance rebounded off Rangers’ Jamie Shrimpton before an Amersham defender knocked the ball into his own net.

That set the tone for the day and three minutes later Risborough increased their lead as Amersham failed to clear a corner and Laurence Clark poked the ball home.

To their credit, the visitors gradually gained a foothold in the match with defenders Shane Ely and Eric Bowden snuffing out many of the numerous Rangers attacks, although they failed to prevent the home side from scoring a third on the stroke of half-time. A fierce shot by Justin Hockley was well saved by Lazarus but the rebound fell to Shrimpton, who knocked the ball home.

Amersham could have pulled a goal back shortly after the restart when striker Lee McManus was tripped in the penalty area by Jamie Clarke, but Lee Clark was denied from the spot by a fine save from Rangers keeper Steve Clark, diving full length to his right.

The best and final goal of the game arrived 10 minutes later when Risborough’s Steve Tavender collected the ball wide on the right, cut inside and curled an unstoppable shot from past the helpless Lazarus.

Rangers missed further opportunities to increase the winning margin but the damage had already been done.

This was Risborough’s final home game of the season as they now face six consecutive away fixtures. starting this Saturday at Baldock Town.

Rangers then play twice in three days next week, first at Crawley Green on Monday before they travel to Bush Hill Rangers on Wednesday.