Rangers finally overcome the weather to get back on track

Risborough Rangers' home ground
Risborough Rangers' home ground

Risborough Rangers were finally able to get their South Midlands League campaign back up and running with two games over the past week.

The recent poor weather has repeatedly frustrated Rangers but they played their first league match in almost four weeks last Tuesday with Codicote the visitors to Windsors.

The away side converted a first half penalty to give themselves a 1-0 lead at the break but Risborough’s top scorer Martin Griggs replied with a penalty of his own a minute into the second half to earn his side a deserved point that kept both teams in the promotion mix at the top of SSML Division One.

Risborough then recorded their first three points of 2015 when they welcomed in-form local rivals Winslow United to Windsors on Saturday.

The hosts started on the front foot and dominated much of the first 20 minutes but were repelled by some superb saves from the Winslow goalkeeper.

However, he was then forced off with an injury which forced the visitors to put an outfield player in goal, and Risborough immediately took advantage when Dean Stenning nodded home from close-range for his first goal of the season.

Further chances came and went in the first half and Rangers were almost made to pay for their wastefulness when Winslow had a strong shout for a penalty waved away.

Within five minutes of that decision, Martin Griggs scored a 40-yard screamer as he spotted the keeper off his line and unleashed a superb effort, before Laurence Clark slotted home a third goal to wrap up a much-needed three points.

That victory keeps Rangers very much in the hunt for promotion as they climb up to sixth in SSML Division One, seven points behind second-placed Bedford.

Risborough were also due to play last night, Monday, but their league game against Crawley Green was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

This Saturday, Risborough entertain Baldock Town for another league encounter.