Moles secure play-off place after goalless draw

editorial image

Aylesbury FC have secured their spot in the Division One Central play-offs despite being held to a goalless draw by Northwood FC at the weekend.

Although the Moles dominated both possession and territory, they were unable to make their dominance count but a point was all they needed to make sure of a play-off place.

Lynton Goss demonstrated his lightning pace as early as the 5th minute testing home keeper Berkeley Laurencin from 10 yards. At the other end Niko Muir had his side’s first sight of goal on 15 minutes but close attention from Ben Stevens prevented any real danger.

Goss enjoyed a good amount of freedom in the first half and it took a quality save from Laurencin to prevent the young Aylesbury midfielder from grabbing the opening goal. A couple of minutes later Lynton played in Bradley Wadkins, whose powerful shot was tipped over by the overworked Northwood keeper.

It wasn’t all FC attacking and in the 19th minute a looping cross saw an unmarked Ismail Ehui head the ball the wrong side of the post when perhaps he should have done better.

As the half progressed, Dave Lawrence tested James Weatherill in the FC net with a low shot before Wadkins played in Brian Haule, who just couldn’t get enough power in his strike.

The roles were reversed as half-time approached with Brian feeding Wadkins. Wadkins’ initial blast was blocked before Prosper’s follow up was hit straight into the arms of Laurencin.

The second half’s first move saw Laurencin step wisely in to block Lynton Goss as he looked ready to pounce. An enforced substitution saw Jamie Rudd replace Brian Haule in the 56th minute before Ben Stevens was unlucky as his flicked header from a corner was deflected away to safety.

Lynton Goss was the next FC man to shoot for goal and his side-footed shot beat the keeper before hitting the post. Just a minute later, Wadkins played in Jamie Rudd whose delightful chip beat the keeper but unfortunately the far post.

Jamie certainly brought a new dimension to FC’s attacking play and his rasping shot midway through the second half again beat the keeper before crashing off the woodwork once again for perhaps the best chance of the game.

Perry Dicker tested Weatherill in the FC goal with eight minutes remaining and in time added on George Nicholas headed a rising ball over the bar.

The referee brought proceedings to an end shortly afterwards and as news came through of defeats and missed opportunities for FC’s rivals, the team could celebrate as their play-off place was finally confirmed much to the satisfaction of the gathered FC supporters cheering the team from the field.