Moles hit six as Ware are nowhere to be seen

Gareth Price slots in Aylesbury's fifth. Picture by Jake McNulty
Gareth Price slots in Aylesbury's fifth. Picture by Jake McNulty

Aylesbury FC picked up their fourth win in five games in the most emphatic fashion when they hammered six goals past a sorry Ware outfit on Saturday.

The writing was on the wall for the visitors from the very first minute when Gareth Price fired in a warning shot that whistled inches wide.

This was followed by a Kyle Anthony header that was placed just past the post as the Moles asserted their authority on proceedings.

In reply, Murat Karagul almost opened the scoring for Ware on 14 minutes with two decent strikes that had home keeper James Weatherill saving with his feet.

Ware didn’t capitalise and FC took the lead a couple of minutes later when Aston Goss played in Price from the right and the striker dropped his shoulder to shrug off a defender before placing a shot past keeper Glenn Williamson.

And it didn’t take long for FC to double their lead as Brian Haule found space on the right and his pass to Lamar Simpson gave the full-back the chance to execute a spectacular chip which sailed over Williamson, much to the delight of the home supporters.

Aylesbury, with the midfield engine of Jonny Montgomery and Davis Haule, were beginning to enjoy themselves and their creativity even allowed centre half Ben Stevens to bomb down the right before placing a cross towards James Dobson, who sent a shot crashing past both defender and keeper to increase the lead to 3-0.

A thundering 30-yard free-kick from Dobson again beat Williamson, only to thump against the post and roll along the line, and this was followed by the keeper stealing the ball from Aston Goss’ toes when the FC winger was clean through.

It could easily have been 6-0 at half-time and the crowd may have expected a far tamer affair after the break and in truth the game did take a little while to get going.

But on 71 minutes FC took things up a gear as Dobson created space for himself on the right and his pinpoint cross was headed down and over the line by a grateful Davis Haule at the back post.

Five minutes later Dobson lurking on the halfway line played a perfectly weighted pass to Price, who had only to slide the ball between the keeper’s legs to make it 5-0.

Still the scoring wasn’t finished. With FC once more finding joy on that right side of the box, a ball was played to Ken Feyi and the youngster needed no second invites to place home a shot into the net to cap a superb afternoon’s work.

Report by Jools Thomas