Moles held to draw at Leighton

Bradley Wadkins
Bradley Wadkins

Aylesbury FC remain third in Division One Central of the Southern League despite being held to a 1-1 draw by lowly Leighton Town on Saturday.

While results elsewhere were generally positive for the Moles with promotion rivals Bedworth United, Rugby Town and Hanwell Town all dropping points, FC could only manage a point from their visit to Bell Close.

The first chance of the game fell to the home side and Danny Watson should have done better when he glanced a header wide of the goal from a left sided cross.

Brian Haule responded by firing in a low cross which both Lynton Goss and Bradley Wadkins failed to connect with as the Leighton defence stood like statues.

FC started to settle and Ryan O’Toole saw his eighth minute shot blocked by resolute home defending.

Again it was Aylesbury doing all the huffing and puffing and soon after Aston Goss played in Lynton Goss but a calmer head was required as the shot was wildly swung at before clearing the bar.

The home team took the lead on 20 minutes in bizarre circumstances. An innocuous ball over the top created confusion between Kyle Anthony and keeper James Weatherill and as each looked to the other to claim responsibility, Leighton’s Mark Bunker nipped in to lift the ball via a slight deflection into an empty FC net.

Ryan O’Toole had another shot from outside the box as FC attempted to grab a quick equaliser, and they pulled level moments later when Bradley Wadkins fired the ball underneath keeper Zaki Oualah after making space on the edge of the area to bring his side back onto level terms at the break.

A well-struck volley by Danny Watson was the first clear-cut chance of the second half.

Lynton Goss replied for the visitors but not for the first time in the afternoon, the shot cleared the bar when composure and concentration were required.

As the clock ticked down, Daniel Murphy was robbed by substitute Ashley Farmer, however the Leighton man could not take advantage as his shot failed to trouble Weatherill.

Leighton’s last chance came with a couple of minutes left as Watson released a very dangerous set piece cross from the left that team-mates were slow to react to.

FC then had a golden chance to snatch all three points when, deep into injury time, substitute Gareth Price fizzed a testing cross right across the face of goal that fellow forwards failed to read before the ball was returned back into the danger zone with keeper and defender finally muddling together to cut out the danger.

Report by Jools Thomas