Moles held by Ducks in Easter derby stalemate

Aylesbury United's Sonny French, playing against his former club, protects the ball from Bradley Wadkins. Pictures by Marc Keinch
Aylesbury United's Sonny French, playing against his former club, protects the ball from Bradley Wadkins. Pictures by Marc Keinch
  • Ducks claim first point against town rivals
  • O’Toole and Blackett come closest in goalless draw
  • Point keeps FC second with United 13th

Aylesbury United earned their first point at the fifth attempt against town rivals Aylesbury FC as the spoils were shared in an uneventful goalless draw at Haywood Way on Easter Monday.

Having lost all four previous meetings between the two, the Ducks produced a resilient display to frustrate their play-off chasing hosts, who remain second in Evo-Stik Southern Division One Central and on course for a top five spot.

Aylesbury United captain Jack Wood heads away a corner

Aylesbury United captain Jack Wood heads away a corner

The result also confirmed Kettering Town as league champions.

On a sunny Easter Monday afternoon in front of a crowd of more than 500 spectators, the Ducks and the Moles cancelled each other out in a contest high on spirit and endeavour but low on entertainment and excitement.

The match struggled to get going with the early stages punctuated by stoppages for injury, with the Ducks forced into an early change as Shane Wood went off injured on just nine minutes.

The hosts, playing in their traditional red and black, were on top in the first quarter of the match but had little to show for their efforts aside from a couple of wayward shots.

The pre-match handshake

The pre-match handshake

United slowly came into the game more during the second part of the opening half, and playing in a bright orange kit, they created the first chance of note when, on 38 minutes, substitute Shaun Owens received the ball on the right hand side and fizzed a dangerous ball into the box, forcing FC defender Jeanmal Prosper to head his goalbound effort away to safety.

Just a minute later the first and only real flare-up of the derby came as an FC player was fouled by United defender Jake Bewley when he was breaking into the Ducks half.

The tackle led to an altercation and some pushing and shoving involving both sets of players, resulting in a yellow card for Bewley.

The visitors created another good opening on 41 minutes when striker Jason Blackett received the ball on the edge of the box, however his first time effort went wide of the goal.

There was still time left for FC to go close as a free-kick in added time led to a scramble inside the area but, from a tight angle, midfielder Bradley Wadkins could only find the side netting.

The second half saw more of the same with neither side able to fashion a clear-cut opportunity, although FC came close when Aston Goss’ flick went just wide.

The best opening of the match came in the 57th minute for FC as Price ran down the right and crossed into the box. His ball in found forward Ryan O’Toole, whose first-time volley was well tipped over by young United keeper Dan Green.

After a period of FC dominance, the Ducks showed they were still a threat in the 65th minute as a free-kick from United forward Stacey Field went a few yards wide of the left hand post.

Five minutes later, United created another chance when the ball was spread wide to Steve Hatch however his shot towards goal was blocked.

The game opened up in the latter stages, but despite plenty of endeavour, the two teams, who had shared 12 goals in the two fixtures earlier this season, could not find the back of the net.

Aylesbury FC: Weatherill, Deeney, Baker, D Haule, Prosper, Stevens (capt), Price (L Goss 75), Wadkins, B Haule, O’Toole, A Goss.

Subs not used: Rudd, Tomlin, Deacon, Jackson.

Aylesbury Utd: Green, Hatch, Bewley, J Wood (capt), S Wood (Owens 9), Grace, Fredrick, Williams, Blackett (Acheampong 80), Field, French.

Subs not used: Little, Bircham, Joyce.

Booked: Bewley 37

Referee: Adrian Gillett (Aylesbury)

Attendance: 526