Moles crowned county champions to finish season in style

L-R: Adam Logie (assistant manager), Steve Bateman (manager), Fraser Maclachlan (coach) and physio Liz Carson. Picture by Marc Keinch
L-R: Adam Logie (assistant manager), Steve Bateman (manager), Fraser Maclachlan (coach) and physio Liz Carson. Picture by Marc Keinch

Aylesbury FC capped off their season in glorious fashion on Bank Holiday Monday when they won the Berks & Bucks Cup final over a disappointing Chesham United side at the homely surroundings of Windsor FC.

A close range header from Danny Gordon, early in the second half, was the difference between the teams, although FC could and maybe should have won by a greater margin against their more senior Premier Division opponents.

FC were dealt a blow in the warm up when goalkeeper James Weatherill was injured with young understudy Mathieu Varnica filling in as replacement.

Varnica’s first piece of action was to see a Curtis Ujah header fly wide after a few minutes, while Tony Little sliced a promising chance wide on the quarter of an hour mark as both sides made a cautious start to proceedings.

Ben Bateman had FC’s first opening but his shot lacked power to test Shane Gore before the same man was put through by Gareth Price and again failed to keep his composure in front of goal.

The first-half remained short on incident and drama throughout but there was one glorious chance for FC to take a lead into half-time, only for striker Brian Haule to fire wide with the goal at his mercy.

FC fans would have been forgiven for thinking those missed chances could prove costly but fortunately that would not be the case.

The excellent Price found space and time throughout the half and it was his cross in the 48th minute which caused panic and led to the winner.

An Aston Goss corner from the right was met powerfully by a rising Danny Gordon and despite pressure, the cool centre back headed home much to the delight of the fans amassed behind the goal.

Haule turned and shot 10 minutes later but the power fizzled out and Gore managed to claim, while Youngs twice came close for Chesham at the other end, the second effort well saved by Varnica, before Gordon blocked Dave Pearce’s goalbound effort.

As time ticked away, both sides had shouts for a penalty turned down, with FC finding more and more space on the break against an increasingly desperate Chesham side.

Attacks by Davis Haule, Rob Tomlin, Prosper and Price might have brought more luck on another week, but as the referee blew time, it was the opportunity for players and fans to celebrate the cup win and write another episode in the history of this football club.