Moles bounce back for second win in three

Gareth Price
Gareth Price

Aylesbury FC bounced back from last Tuesday’s 4-3 defeat at Chalfont St Peter with a 2-0 win over Arlesey Town on Saturday.

While the game was not a classic, the Moles did enough to justify their victory as goals from Jeanmal Prosper and Gareth Price secured a second win from three games in Division One Central of the Southern League.

The home team had two ex-FC men in their ranks and Luke Abraham was the first of these to shine, hitting a ball from 20 yards which FC keeper James Weatherill safely gathered.

Price has been in good form so far this season and it was his cross a few moments later which allowed Lynton Goss to connect with a header which drifted wide before the breakthrough arrived.

A bizarre 10th minute clearance from Ash Deeney saw the Arlesey man clear the ball off the line but from the resulting Price corner, Prosper rose higher than anyone else to plant a firm header past keeper Nick Thompson for the opener.

Prosper was once more in the thick of the action on 11 minutes feeding in the busy Jamie Rudd who hit the ball over the bar from 10 yards. As the game progressed, Lynton Goss hit a shot straight at Thompson and the same man was unlucky a few moments later thumping a low shot just wide of the mark.

As the game settled, Kyle Anthony had a half chance from distance before the home team’s best chance of the game so far as striker Lewis Wilson saw his powerful effort saved by keeper Weatherill and the well struck rebound from Anthony Wright brought about an excellent block from Ben Bateman.

Arlesey were now enjoying the lion’s share of possession. Osamu Alman broke on the right and his snapshot brought about a fine save from Weatherill.

In the final action of the half, FC fans’ hearts were in mouths as Aaron Morgan’s daisycutter took a deflection and spun wide.

The second half began with the hosts almost grabbing an equaliser in what would prove to be their best chance of the afternoon. A melee in the box saw the ball fall to ex-Mole Dave Deeney and the midfield man was unfortunate to witness his rocket shot crash onto the bar and seeing it rebound back down before bouncing back into play.

New Aylesbury full-back James Dobson may have had better luck on a different day with a 63rd minute free kick as would perhaps Gareth Price, who was just unable to make contact with Lynton Goss’ teasing cross just a few minutes later.

FC were enjoying a period of good pressure as Dobson hit another shot over the bar and then Goss had a gilt edged chance to increase the score line. He should have chipped the ball over the stranded keeper but instead he chose to run in on goal. It was not the correct decision as a well-timed block from a home defender cancelled out the move.

Substitute Ryan O’Toole had a half chance of 73 minutes and at the other end Arlesey’s Ben Ford hit a shot skywards. Ford had a similar opportunity a few moments later and again the outcome was a strike with plenty of power but not enough accuracy.

The final action of the game saw Rudd hit the home side on the break and start the break which would lead to a second goal. His pass from the right hand side found Lynton Goss who unselfishly swept the ball to Price and the FC striker smacked the ball home for the third consecutive game to make all three points safe.