Late Chalfont goal thwarts United

Tony Joyce
Tony Joyce

Aaron Lansiquot’s goal 13 minutes from time denied Aylesbury United a second successive league win as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Chalfont St. Peter on Saturday.

Lea Coulter’s early goal had put the Ducks on course for back-to-back victories in Division One Central of the Southern League, but Chalfont fought back in the second half and earned themselves a deserved point to keep United 14th in the table.

Manager Tony Joyce made just one change from his side’s 5-3 win over Northwood with Coulter recalled to the starting line-up in place of Stacey Field, who was suspended.

Aylesbury made a quick start with Jason Blackett heading a free-kick over the bar inside the first minute while Shane Wood’s long throws caused panic in the home defence.

It was from one of these throw-ins that saw United break the deadlock when, on 10 minutes, Coulter flicked the ball beyond the away goalkeeper.

Chalfont had their first attempt on goal shortly afterwards with Alex Paine’s cross-cum-shot sailing over, but United remained the more threatening side with Lewis Putman’s free-kick kept out by Mike McEntegart in the away goal before Blackett’s goal-bound shot was brilliantly blocked by Gareth Paxton.

Steve Hatch was next to threaten as he also saw an effort blocked, while Putman dragged a shot wide of the target before fine hold-up play from Blackett brought Hatch into play and he set-up Jesse Waites, who again failed to hit the target.

Chances continued to come thick and fast for United with Waites cutting inside and firing an effort towards the far corner which was well kept out by McEntagart before Putman fizzed a dangerous cross through the six-yard box, but there was no one on hand to apply the finishing touch.

United somehow remained just one ahead at half-time and they would be made to pay for those missed chances as Chalfont came out a rejuvenated side in the second period.

Although United were first to threaten after the restart - Hatch shooting agonisingly wide - it was the visitors who dominated for large periods and they came close to levelling when captain Adam Hedley set-up Louis Stead, whose shot was well blocked by Jack Wood, before Daniel Ailey went close and Paine hit the post

Coulter headed wide for United in a rare attack from the home side before Chalfont pulled level. Paine was again involved, crossing the ball from the right, where a slight deflection took it to Lansiquot, who made no mistake with his effort from 12 yards out, beating Sillitoe to bring the scores level.

Both sides had chances to claim all three points in the final 10 minutes with Ailey having a shot blocked for Chalfont before Blackett was denied by McEntagart.

A draw was a fair outcome, though, with both sides rueing missed chances.

This weekend, United travel to Marlow.