Improving Ducks make their point

editorial image

Aylesbury United gained a first point at The ASM Stadium since August but were left to wonder what could have been after twice leading against Uxbridge before being pegged back to a 2-2 draw.

The Ducks made a good start and were rewarded with an 11th minute opener. Full debutant Luca Seminerio was played in down the left by Sean Immanuel, and his low cross was turned in for an own goal by Dave Thomas.

Seminerio’s inclusion came as one of five changes to the Ducks team, but the hosts were gelling quickly and could have had a second five minutes later when Stacey Field received Jack Wood’s ball before crossing to Seminerio who turned it wide beyond the far post.

To that point, Uxbridge’s best effort had been a seventh minute rising effort from Reece Grant which was always clearing the crossbar, but that changed when the same player saw an effort superbly blocked by Wood as Aylesbury struggled to clear their lines.

Two minutes later and the Reds were back level, United’s corner kick fragilities coming back to haunt them yet again. Thomas’s set piece was headed goalwards, and amongst a brief scramble stalwart Warren Carter managed to find the net from close range.

Greg Williams was close to re-establishing United’s lead when Field touched the ball off to him in the area but he could only guide a shot just past the upright, while Uxbridge’s leading scorer Mat Woods spurned a fine chance for the visitors as the sides went into half-time level.

The Ducks kept up the pressure into the second period, and were only denied an early advantage by the post and crossbar in one move as French’s long range effort came back off the upright to Williams who could only power an effort against the bar.

It was a let-off for Uxbridge, but Aylesbury weren’t to be denied again, taking the lead with their next attack. Immanuel broke down the right and delivered a teasing cross which was perfect for Field to guide into the net.

This time the lead lasted barely two minutes as a long, floated cross from the left found Carter at the far post who volleyed the ball in off a defender to restore parity.

There were further chances for both teams in the time that remained but neither could find the elusive winner and the spoils were shared.

The point takes United out of the relegation zone ahead of Wednesday’s clash against leaders Rushden & Diamonds.