Hatch rescues a point for United

Steve Hatch's late striker flies past Davies. Picture by Mike Snell
Steve Hatch's late striker flies past Davies. Picture by Mike Snell

An 89th minute piledriver from Steve Hatch rescued a late point for Aylesbury United in their clash against Hanwell Town on Saturday.

The draw helped make amends for last Wednesday’s heavy 5-1 defeat to Bedford.

Manager Tony Joyce made two changes from that game with Steve Hatch and Taylor Collins coming in for Shane Wood and Shaun Owens, while Bill Morgan, Joey Acheampong, Jake Bewley and Jack Sillitoe returned to the bench for the first time this season.

Playing a more traditional 4-4-2 formation, the Ducks saw plenty of the ball early on and knocked it around well without troubling Cain Davies in the visiting goal.

The first chance came on 10 minutes when Billy Adcock was fouled on the edge of the area and Collins curled a delicious free-kick over the bar.

Five minutes later, Hanwell old boys Adcock and Eoin Casey combined after a weak clearance by keeper Davies, however Casey’s snapshot again cleared the bar instead of troubling the keeper.

The first moment of concern for the home side came in the 27th minute as a ball from skipper Ryan Ashe into the channel found Ricky Pither through on goal and it took a fine smothering save from Tokarczyk to deny the visitors.

In truth, this was Hanwell’s only clear-cut opportunity of the half, as the Ducks were happy passing the ball around, dominating proceedings with further chances falling for Lee Grace, Alex Collard and Eoin Casey but all three were unable to convert and the teams went into half-time all square.

United continued in a positive fashion after the break with Sonny French’s effort blocked on the line by Kieran Gradwell, however it was the visitors who, against the run of play, struck the first blow.

On 53 minutes, the Ducks were undone by a wonderful pass over the defence, which Pither raced onto. Tocarczyk came racing off his line to intercept, giving the striker the opportunity to lob him, which he did to open the scoring.

Aylesbury looked to get level but struggled to cut through a packed defence, however just as it seemed the Ducks would go home disappointed, it all changed at the death.

Jake Bewley was fouled on the left edge of the penalty area, resulting in a free-kick in an inviting position and though the initial set-piece was blocked, the ball fell back to Hatch, who powered home a pile driver to rescue a point.