Ducks end Northwood’s perfect start

editorial image

Stacey Field bagged a brace as Aylesbury United ended Northwood’s 100 per cent start to the new season with an impressive 3-1 away win.

Northwood remain the early pacesetters atop Division One Central of the Southern League but the defeat bunches the table up with United moving up to 13th, five points behind the leaders.

Ducks boss Tony Joyce made one change from the midweek defeat to AFC Rushden & Diamonds as Shaun Owens replaced Sonny French, and immediately United began on the front foot with skipper Jack Wood flicking an early Taylor Collins corner just wide.

Four corners in the opening six minutes came to nothing for the visitors, while in Northwood’s first attack, George Nicholas’ effort was comfortably gathered by Alex Tokarczyk.

Aylesbury continued to make most of the early running and it was they who struck first when Alex Collard rose highest from an Owens corner to head home his third Aylesbury goal having signed in the summer.

As United remained on top, Billy Adcock went close soon afterwards as he bent a shot over the bar, before Eoin Casey was surprised to find himself clean through on the end of a through ball with the home defence all at sea, but Chris Haigh was off his line quickly to make a smothering save.

Seconds later Stacey Field went agonisingly close with a superb chipped effort as United could and maybe should have been out of sight.

Northwood then came more into the game as half-time approached with Robbie Hastings and Perry Dicker going close, but the home side’s improvement counted for nothing when Aylesbury doubled their advantage,

The goal came right on the stroke of half-time with Adcock playing a fine ball forwards for Field to collect and he turned smartly before producing a neat finish into the far corner.

Northwood came out strongly after the break and had United under serious pressure for much of the opening stages of the second half with Michael Murray failing to find the finish from just eight yards out, while Nicholas shot wide moments later.

The hosts continued to be wasteful in front of goal and having weathered the storm, Aylesbury themselves then squandered a glorious chance to add a third when Field somehow managed to side foot wide with the goal gaping.

The United striker was not to be denied, however, and Aylesbury needed just three more minutes to put the game to bed when some wonderful football carved Northwood apart before Adcock provided the killer final ball for Field to run onto and slot home.

Chances continued to come thick and fast at both ends and United’s resilient defence had to remain resolute as they repelled virtually everything that had Northwood to offer, though the home side did manage a late consolation through Myles Stephenson.

There was still time for Field to be cruelly denied a hat-trick when his effort struck the woodwork deep into stoppage time.

Aylesbury and Northwood meet again this weekend when the Middlesex side visit the ASM Stadium for the preliminary round of the FA Cup.