Davis remains without a win after plucky Moles are edged out by Farnborough

Aylesbury FC produced another gutsy performance on Saturday but again they came up just short, losing 1-0 to high-flying Farnborough.
Davis Haule. Picture by Jake McNultyDavis Haule. Picture by Jake McNulty
Davis Haule. Picture by Jake McNulty

At times, it was difficult to see which team was challenging for the title and which was battling against relegation, however a 25th minute goal from ex-Mole Ed Smith was enough for the home side to prevail and keep FC player-manager Davis Haule waiting for his first win since taking charge.

The Moles boss will be encouraged by the form of returning FC men Keiron Schmidt and Jeanmal Prosper and their experience will be vital as the team try to collect enough points to avoid the drop in Division One Central.

Ty Deacon’s shot in the first minute would have been the perfect start and only an outstretched Boro leg denied him before the same man went close with a header.

Joseph Hartley had FC’s best chance of the game on 12 minutes. The striker twisted and turned before firing wide of the angle of bar and post.

Perry Coles responded by taking a shot which nicked off a Ben Stevens’ ankle before spinning to safety, and Coles was involved in the next piece of action when he chased down a ball only to be beaten to it by FC keeper Kyle Forster.

What followed proved to be the winning goal. A corner from the right side landed in the danger area and with the Moles defence static, Smith unleashed an unstoppable shot from just a few yards.

Aylesbury had a corner of their own on 31 minutes from Aston Goss and although it was a fine delivery, Deacon just could not find a decent connection and the ball curled harmlessly wide of the goal.

Prosper had an excellent game and he could have helped himself to a goal when fed by Goss but his shot sailed high, while Haule also struck a shot on half-time but again the home defence held firm and a sprawling leg sent the ball flying high and wide.

Smith was unlucky not to increase Farnborough’s lead in the first attack after the break. His floated shot from some 20 yards beat Forster easily but spanked off the bar.

The pitch was now increasingly heavy and cut up and so it was fair to assume that there would be fewer chances. FC’s first opening of the second-half was on the hour mark and saw Aston Goss danc across the box and for the umpteenth time the shot hit the well-drilled home defence.

With 15 to play, Deacon received the ball on the edge of the home box and despite a neat turn, the resulting shot curled away without troubling Farnborough. From then on and despite plenty of huff and puff, there were no more notable chances for either team.

Still just a point above the bottom two and still without a win in 2017, FC host mid-table Edgham this weekend.

Related topics: