Bruno delivers the knock-out punch as Ducks down Histon

A solitary second-half goal by Bruno Brito 19 minutes from time saw Aylesbury United return to winning ways as they edged past relegation-threatened Histon in Saturday's clash at The ASM Stadium.
Bruno Brito fires in the winner. Picture by Mike SnellBruno Brito fires in the winner. Picture by Mike Snell
Bruno Brito fires in the winner. Picture by Mike Snell

The Ducks were good value for their win, and indeed could have added more had a host of earlier chances not gone begging against visitors who arrived on a good run of form that had seen them close the gap at the bottom of the table after five matches unbeaten.

But this defeat leaves them in the relegation zone whilst lifting Aylesbury back into the Division One Central’s top 10.

After an early penalty shout against Ryan Kinnane had been waved away, the Ducks had a fine chance to make the breakthrough after just five minutes. Gavin Hinds-Cadette played the ball to Brito who in turn helped it on for Lea Coulter who was clean through but thwarted by the advancing goalkeeper.

That set the tone for a dominant first-half from Aylesbury as Brito pulled the strings and further chances went begging with Coulter three times going close before Sonny French fired a clear opening off target as the half ended goalless.

The second period started with United back on top, and the unlikely source of Hinds-Cadette’s left foot nearly produced the opener when he curled just wide after Baines levered Brito’s crossfield pass into the full-back’s path.

Histon too threatened when Matty Allan fluffed his lines but otherwise it was almost all Aylesbury and, finally, they found the net.

Jake Bewley’s corner routine broke down, and when the ball was returned into the area, two players were unable to get clean contact on their shots, but Brito calmly found the far corner of the goal for his 10th goal of the season.

It was Bewley himself who went close to adding a quickfire second when curling a shot just beyond the post.

The closest the Stutes came to an equaliser was on 79 minutes when a move of incisive passing put Allan clean through, Zaki Oualah quickly off his line to make a smothering save in what was his only meaningful stop of the game.

As the game drew to a close, both sides forced corners but the Ducks held firm to the end to complete a deserved win.

United are at Bishops Cleeve tonight, Tuesday, for the quarter-finals of the Southern League Cup before they visit Barton Rovers in the league this weekend.

Related topics: