Cricket round-up: Cublington and Kimble win again but Chearsley suffer more woe

Andy Lane
Andy Lane

Cublington notched their second win from two games this season when they beat Shipton-under-Wychwood by two wickets in Cherwell League Division Three on Saturday.

Looking to build on their opening day victory over Dinton IIs, Cublington put Shipton into bat first and that decision immediately paid dividends when Andy Lane took an early wicket.

The home side steadied the innings with a lengthy second-wicket partnership, however Cublington maintained good control of the run-rate and eventually they picked up another wicket as Steve Godfrey bowled Hemmings for 27, leaving the hosts 97-2.

Hayes made 60 before being caught behind off Jenkins and Lane then returned with an impressive second spell, supported by Ollie Fairhurst (3-36), as Shipton were bowled out for 183. Lane finished with 3-45 from 16 overs.

In reply, Cublington lost Steve Godfrey and Greg Jenkins cheaply but some devastating hitting from Pip Webb and Sam George moved the visitors past three figures in double-quick time.

A couple of quick wickets left the game in the balance but Webb remained at the crease and he saw the job through with an excellent unbeaten 63 despite the steady fall of wickets at the other end.

Cublington host Banbury IIIs this weekend.

Elsewhere, Wendover Cricket Club’s first team maintained their 100 per cent winning start to the season with closely-fought 12 run victory over Potten End in the Mid Bucks Cricket League.

Having elected to bat first, Wendover found runs hard to come by against tight and consistent bowling from the visitors as both openers fell early.

That brought George Robinson to the crease and he led a brief fightback by making 38 but his departure sparked a collapse as a flurry of wickets fell with the hosts struggling on 68-6 at the halfway stage.

Bob Glue then steadied the innings with an excellent 43 and with Dave Gulliver’s 22, Wendover reached a competitive 157-9 from their 40 overs.

Potten End’s chase got off to a flier with opener Ransley hitting 41 before spinners George Robinson (2-31) and Dave Gulliver (3-34) removed the away side’s top order.

Seb Barr and Sam Boardman followed up with some tight overs to strangle the run scoring, and eventually Potten End were restricted to 145-9.

Wendover 2nd XI suffered at the hands of Ballinger’s Clark, who hit an impressive 145 not out in his side’s 232-6, although Chalky White (2-13) and Jamie Matthews (3-20) both bowled well.

Wendover’s reply began well thanks to White (23), Joseph Glue (24) and a superb 78 from Jon Merrell.

However, the total proved beyond them and it was left to young Ben Pope with a fine 46 to steer Wendover to 211 all out and defeat, despite a 36-run stand for the last wicket.

In Division Four of the Cherwell League, Chearsley’s winless start to the season continued with defeat to Leighton Buzzard IIs.

James Veness won the toss and chose to bowl. Buzzard’s total of 201-9 was built around an unbeaten 50 from Scott Clark, Kirk Brazier’s 45 and 38 from Mark Burfoot.

Ed Holland took 4-50 and Ken Baker 3-65 for the visitors.

This total was always going to be a tall order and although the batting was strengthened compared with last week, no Chearsley player was able to make a telling contribution.

Neil Davies top-scored with 22, Nic Willoughby weighed in with 20 and Matt Ricketts made 18. It was left to a rearguard action mainly from Tom Gadsby, who batted nearly an hour for nine to avoid defeat. The visitors finished on 136-8.

In the same division, Kimble made it two wins from two with a 185-run victory over Kingston Bagpuize as Steven Richards hit 78 before Sam Agace took seven wickets.

In Division Nine, Chearsley IIs are now top of the table following their three wicket win over Challow & Childrey IIIs.

Adam Lazaruk put the visitors into bat and they were soon in trouble against some tight bowling as Mark Claridge (4-11), Duncan Stratford (3-10) and Stuart Burnham (2-10) bowled them out for just 68.

Chearsley should have coasted to victory but their reply began in disastrous fashion when Harry Robson took three wickets in his first over.

Neal Waters and Burnham added 30 for the fourth wicket but another mini-collapse followed, reducing the hosts to 38-6, however Burnham was still there as he and John Holland added another 22.

The target was reached in the 22nd over courtesy of five penalty runs when the ball hit a helmet behind the keeper. Burnham finished on 35 not out, with extras totaling 25, the other seven batsmen scored just 11 between them.