These are the top 20 perfect moments to experience on holiday – including dining with a view
Research of 2,000 holidaymakers aged 18-34 found 34 per cent felt stepping out of your comfort zone was important for an unforgettable trip, wanting to push their boundaries at least three times.
While 29 per cent believe making new friends is key, with a memorable break involving meeting a minimum of two people.
And at least three new dishes should also be tried.
It also emerged an outstanding trip will see 55 photos and 13 videos taken to capture the four ‘perfect moments’ they want to experience.
Ticking off the bucket list
Respondents have been on an average of six truly memorable trips each, while 17 per cent of those who have travelled solo feel these holidays created more memories than any other.
Rachel Storey, brand director of social travel company for 18-35 year olds, Contiki, which commissioned the research, said: “The reason we travel is, at its core, to create memories – whether it’s from that perfect moment or trying something new out of your comfort zone.
“Exploring a new destination and culture is opening yourself up to the unknown with the potential to create memories that can last a lifetime when you make every moment count.”
The research also found 43 per cent of travellers believe spending time with people physically on holiday is more important than ever, due to today’s increasingly virtual world.
While 37 per cent pick their travel destinations based on the experiences they might have while there and 30 per cent have a holiday bucket list of moments they want to tick off.
Keeping an authentic holiday account
As a result, 46 per cent have tried to plan a ‘perfect’ moment while away, like a glorious sunset or catching animals in their natural habitat.
But 66 per cent prefer a perfect moment to happen naturally or organically, rather than be something which is engineered.
And 85 per cent even believe it’s the imperfect or unexpected moments that can make a holiday more memorable.
Nearly half (48 per cent) of those polled, via OnePoll, also prefer to post a completely authentic image on social media – showing the good and the bad – rather than a perfectly staged image with filters (15 per cent).
Rachel Storey, from Contiki, added: “When you reflect on trips from the past, it’s often the moments you couldn’t have imagined, that leave the deepest impact.
“Whether it’s a moving encounter with a local, making a new friend, ordering an unusual item in a restaurant, or taking a leap of faith on a new activity - the ultimate souvenir is the memories you make along the way.”
Top 20 perfect moments to experience on holiday
- Drinks or food with a view
- Watching a sunrise or sunset with your friends or family
- Something funny that becomes a story to tell for years to come
- Ticking something off your bucket list
- Seeing a famous landmark
- Swimming in the sea
- Some kind of joke or funny event which goes onto become a running joke among your friends or family
- Doing something that takes you out of your comfort zone
- Seeing animals in their natural habitat
- Getting a full tour of a beautiful city
- Taking a detour or getting lost and finding an empty beach or amazing view
- Trying the local delicacy which is considered unusual at home
- Doing something adrenaline-spiking, such as bungee jumping or parachuting
- Making a new friend
- Getting a tour around a local town or village
- Climbing a mountain
- A holiday romance kiss
- Making a connection with a local person/ group of people
- Being proposed to/ proposing to someone/ witnessing a proposal
- Finding the ideal souvenirs/gifts