Woman rescued by firefighters after blaze at her home

Firefighters rescued a woman after a blaze at her home in Princes Risborough
Firefighters rescued a woman after a blaze at her home in Princes Risborough

Firefighters rescued a woman in the early hours of the morning after she was trapped by a blaze at her home which crews believe was caused by a discarded cigarette.

Three crews were called to St John’s Court in Bell Street, Princes Risborough at 12.30am this morning (Monday).

They rescued a woman who was trapped upstairs by the fire on her landing.

The woman was handed into the care of paramedics, who took her to hospital.

The first floor of the house was badly damaged by fire and filled with smoke.

Group Commander Mick Martin from Bucks Fire and Rescue Service said: “The occupant was trapped in a first-floor bedroom and was unable to get out.

“The Control Room maintained contact with the resident and was able to give her fire survival guidance and reassurance over the phone, and to pass important information back to the crews about exactly where she was in the house.

“She was advised to position herself at an open window in her bedroom to reduce the effects of the smoke.

“On arrival there was smoke issuing from the property, smoke alarms could be heard sounding and the occupant was leaning out of the bedroom window.

“Crews put up a ladder and carried her down, and she was then passed to the ambulance service and taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

“Simultaneously two crew members wearing breathing apparatus quickly entered the property with a hose reel to carry out a further search and fight the fire.

“Other crew members used a fan to help ventilate the smoke from the property and improve visibility.

“The fire started at the head of the stairs on the first-floor landing, and escalated to cause fire and heat damage to all first-floor rooms, the attic and stairwell down to the ground floor.

“Early indications from the initial fire investigation are that the fire started in or around a bin on the landing, where a cigarette end had been discarded, igniting other combustible materials.”

Station Commander Stuart Grosse who attended the incident added: “This incident highlights the benefits of smoke alarms and a quick rescue by crews at the scene, ably supported by the information being provided by the Control Room.

“It also illustrates just how serious a fire caused by discarded cigarettes can be.”