‘She had a contagious smile’: Tributes to vet who died in car crash

Vet Kathryn Adams, who tragically died in a car crash
Vet Kathryn Adams, who tragically died in a car crash

Tributes have been paid to a ‘wonderful’ young vet with a ‘contagious’ smile who died in a car crash.

Kathryn Adams, 27, qualified in 2013 and had been working at Hampden Veterinary Hospital in Aylesbury for less than a year.

Kathryn was driving on the A413 from Whitchurch to Winslow in her Hyundai Getz when she hit a Ford Transit van travelling in the opposite direction. She died at the scene.

Steve Sharpe, practice manager at the Aylesbury vets, said: “Kathryn was a wonderful person and a very popular member of our staff - her smile and cheerfulness was quite contagious.

“It was obvious that Kathryn was developing into an excellent veterinary surgeon and was eager to learn.

“It was then with shock and deep sadness that we tragically lost Kathryn, when she had a fantastic future as a veterinary surgeon ahead of her.

“Our thoughts are with Kathryn’s family and friends.”

Kathryn grew up in Greens Norton but was living in Kerr Place, Aylesbury, at the time of the accident.

She performed surgical operations at the main Veterinary Hospital in the town but was based at the Watermead branch surgery, where she ‘built a strong rapport with pet owners’ while caring for small animals.

Kathryn graduated from the Royal Veterinary College, where she was captain of the polo club, vice captain of the ladies rugby team and social secretary of the clay pigeon shooting society.

Partner of Towcester Vets, Mike Sheldon, first met Kathryn when she was just 12 years old when she would help out during the holidays.

He showed her the ropes and then sung her praises to the Royal Veterinary College as part of her application.

“I wrote them a you-must-let-this-girl-in reference,” Mr Sheldon said. “She was my first proper protege.

“She was really great to have around, worked really hard and was very committed, helpful and kind.

The head-on crash happened around 1.15pm on January 28, close to the junction with Dunton Road on the A413.

Police shut the road while officers investigated the circumstances of the crash and reopened it at 5.30pm.

The driver of the van, a woman aged in her forties, was taken to Milton Keynes General Hospital with minor injuries and was later discharged.

The inquest into Ms Adams’ death was opened and adjourned on Tuesday but police are still asking for witnesses. Call 101 with any information.