Council fires warning to barbeque users ahead of sweltering weekend weather in Aylesbury

Local officials and firefighters are urging barbeque users to be cautious this weekend.

Thursday, 10th June 2021, 12:33 pm
Updated Thursday, 10th June 2021, 12:34 pm

With temperatures potentially rising as high as 27 degrees in Aylesbury this weekend, the authorities are urging barbeque users to be cautious.

Bucks Council predicts many will purchase a disposable barbeque to heat up some food in the sun during this countrywide heatwave.

Alongside the Bucks Fire and Rescue Service, the council has offered advice on how to use these kits safely.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Officials urge caution if you're lighting up a disposable barbeque in Aylesbury

Officials advise that the dangers caused by barbeques can be 'easily avoided provided we all stay vigilant'.

Barbecues, camp fires and stoves are not allowed in Buckinghamshire country parks and residents are urged not to light fires or use any device with a naked flame in woodland or open spaces, and to dispose of cigarettes carefully.

Here are the top tips the council and firefighters want you to follow:

-"Follow the safety instructions provided with disposable barbecues.

-"Do not place the disposable barbecue directly on to grass or a flammable surface.

-"Never leave a lit barbecue unattended.

-"Make sure your barbecue is well away from sheds, fences, trees, shrubs or garden waste.

-"In the countryside or public park areas, only use disposable barbecues where there are specially designated areas and carefully follow the safety guidance.

-"Avoid open flames in woodland, including parks, open spaces etc.

-"After use, please make sure it is fully extinguished by pouring plenty of water onto it.

-"Empty ashes onto bare garden soil, not into dustbins or wheelie bins. If they’re hot, they can melt the plastic and cause a fire.

-"Do not place a disposable barbecue in a rubbish bin or take it to a local household recycling centre until it has cooled down completely. Fires at waste sites and in bin lorries can start from the smallest spark or heat source, especially in summer, so it’s even more important to wait until the barbecue is completely cool."

Peter Strachan, Buckinghamshire Council cabinet member for climate change and environment, commented: "As the weather improves and restrictions lift we find ourselves able to enjoy the wonderful parks and open spaces we're fortunate to have in Buckinghamshire, however I urge that we remain vigilant about the risk of fire, especially when the weather is mild and dry.

“It also goes without saying that people should dispose of all their rubbish in the bins provided or better still, take it all home. That way we keep our countryside and open spaces as safe, clean and tidy as possible for everyone to enjoy.

“We see fires in the back of bin wagons and at Household Recycling Centres in the summer and often this is a result of barbeques disposed of on the same day or before they have cooled. This results in closed sites, damaged vehicles and of course danger to our site staff and crews.”

More information on how to dispose of throwaway barbecues is available on the recycle for Buckinghamshire website.

Community Safety Manager Joanne Cook of Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service added: “It is easy to underestimate how much heat is transferred through the base of a disposable barbecue, which can burn grass or undergrowth it is placed on.

“When using a disposable barbecue in a permitted location, always raise it on something which will not be affected by heat, such as a purpose made base or some bricks.”

The fire service has more information on outdoor fire safety available on its website here.