In those days these large houses were occupied by retired businessmen and small families with one or two servants.
The Three Pigeons pub on the right was the first to be built along this stretch of road.
The earliest reference to the pub is from a brief mention in the Bucks Herald of May 1840 where a minor assault took place between a couple of men.
They had been drinking in the pub and had a disagreement over something.
The Bucks Herald is littered with such stories over many decades and they make interesting reading.
A couple of doors down from the Three Pigeons was the home of Robert Randall.
He was a partner in the mineral water manufactory firm of North & Randall - later known as Dayla.
The pub was demolished in 1995 to make way for a new housing complex called Turnpike End.