In November 1914 the 10th Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment were billeted at Aylesbury.
They were known as the ‘Green Howards’ and it was during the Wars of the Austrian Succession in 1744, that the Regiment first took that name.
Regiments took their names from their Colonel who in this case was the Honourable Charles Howard.
The men stayed at Aylesbury until May 1915 when they marched to Halton and eventually ended up at Witley Camp in August 1915.
This photograph shows them marching past High Street railway station which is now where Vale Park Drive is.
If it were possible to pan to the left we would see a long line of men stretching all the way up the High Street.
It would have been quite a spectacle.
There is, of course, a darker side to this image in that in the coming months these happy young men would be engaged in the horrors of war and many of them would never see home again.