This is the oldest photograph to be featured on Back in Time. It is a view of Aylesbury High Street in about 1855.
At that time it was still known as New Road, having been built in 1826.
The name was changed in 1895.
This is the Market Square end of the street and shows on the right the Crown Inn (later hotel).
There is the name of ‘Margesson’ under the sign.
His family ran the Crown for about 30 years between the 1830s and 1860s and were well known in the town.
On the opposite side of the street, above the two men at roof level is a projecting sign in the shape of a tea or coffee pot.
This is where Costa Coffee is today.
What a strange coincidence that it should be on the same site.