On May 16, 1942 the Buckinghamshire WVS (Women’s Voluntary Services) was presented with a mobile kitchen.
It was a gift of the Canadian Ladies’ Golf Union and was one of three presented in the country.
The mobile kitchen was presented to Lady Courtown at the headquarters of the WVS on Rickfords Hill by the Countess of Bessborough. She is in the middle standing next to Lord Cottesloe, Lord Lieutenant of the County.
The kitchen comprised of a field boiler, ranges, two 20 gallon soup pots, two 5 gallon tea urns, a 36 gallon water tank and an air cooled larder.
These vehicles were mainly used in blitz conditions but had their uses in other situations during the war.
Its initial use was for feeding school children of the county.