Vale Park in the 1950s. On 10 May 1935 the Vale Bowling Green opened.
It was built by J and D Provan Ltd of Glasgow and used Cumberland sea-washed turf. It was opened by Mayor Giacomo Gargini who was also the proprietor of the Bulls Head Hotel in Market Square – now long gone.
Shortly after the green opened work began on the building of the open air swimming pool which was sited off to the right.
In the distance behind the houses in Park Street the flour mill of Hills & Partridge can be seen. It was located at Walton Mill. In those days the site had many more buildings around the remaining two that we see there today.
Since the business left the site the old buildings have deteriorated and are in desperate need of someone to come along and save them.
Vale Park has undergone many changes since the 1950s.
It is also smaller now that the Aqua Vale Swimming and Fitness Centre has been added.