Now that Aylesbury is about to lose it’s old police station due to demolition let’s look back at what was on the site before it.
In 1857 after a report by the Chief Constable of Bucks Constabulary arrangements were made to build a new station at the rear of Walton Street in the grounds of the Judges Lodgings.
David Brandon, a London architect drew up the plans for the new building.
He would work on future projects in the town designing buildings such as the Clock Tower and the Royal Bucks Hospital.
The new station opened in the autumn of 1858 without any ceremony and barely a mention in the Bucks Herald.
This is unusual as most prominent public buildings were written about in great detail.
The station had accommodation for one superintendent, one inspector, one married constable and five single constables.