There are certain parts of Aylesbury’s town centre that have largely escaped redevelopment and have retained their charm.
This corner of Market Square, pictured here in the 1930s, is one of them.
The Town Hall arches were built in 1864 after the old White Hart Hotel was demolished.
At least in those days the Victorians built ornate and imposing buildings that fitted in quite well with their surroundings.
Barclays Bank is seen on the left covered in wall creeper. The building is called Bedford House and was originally a private house with extensive gardens at the rear.
It contained two tennis courts, a pleasure ground, kitchen garden and other outbuildings.
The house was sold to Barclays Bank in 1921 for £5,700 which in today’s currency would be in the region of £150,000.