Vale teen Kieran gives GB athletes a scare with brilliant show at triathlon while clubmate Alfred smashes record
Fifteen year old Vale of Aylesbury athlete Kieran Lindars got his reward for years of unassuming hard work and dedication when he finished fourth – behind three GB team members – in the Inter-Regional Championships triathlon.
Given an open place to compete as he was just outside the South East top three for selection, Kieran was nervous as a relative newcomer to national competition, but he had no reason to worry. The competition involved a 400m swim, a 10k cycle and a 2.5k run and he was aiming for a top 20 placing.
With support from his club, Spirit Bikes, family and friends Kieran’s hard work through the summer paid off as he had a storming race.
Kieran said: “I have trained hard this year, thanks to the encouragement and support from all my coaches. Triathlon is so interesting!”
Meanwhile, Kieran’s clubmate Alfred Mawdesley, who competes in the U13 age category, broke VoA’s discus record with yet another pb.
Alfred only began competing this year and in May his first ever competitive discus throw was 23.05m. In August he took part in an Oxford City Open Meeting at Horspath Road where he won the U13 competition with a throw of 30.33m, an improvement of more than 7m in just three months. The second place throw was almost four metres behind him.
The phenomenal thrower’s new club record puts him seventh in the UK for his age on the Power of 10 rankings.
A club spokesman said: “Many congratulations to Alfred and who knows what next season will bring?”
A runner who is already looking to the cross country season is Christian Von Eitzen who ran a 5k at Abingdon Park. He is happy with his 17:12 time, but confident that he can improve on it when back to full fitness.
- Revealed: Map showing flightpaths if new airport is built in Vale
- Aylesbury man charged with trying to incite child under 16 into sexual activity
- ‘I’m not prepared to do this job and drive 600 miles a week’: Police chief defends expenses and ‘chauffeur’
- Pub makeover (combined with a subtle name change) aims to repair reputation
- ‘She will be greatly missed’: Family’s tribute to grandmother killed in car crash
- UPDATED: Aylesbury councillor apologises for ‘murderous Tories’ Twitter slur
- Serial vandals burn memorial seating by Aylesbury canal
- Two Aylesbury men jailed following death of cyclist in Terrick
- Mistreated dog found nearly twice healthy weight is put to sleep
- Evergreen but never stuck in a rut: Alan Candy road tests the Suzuki Jimny
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Aylesbury
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North