FC boss offers his reaction to goals galore game and fiery start to 2013
After the Christmas goal feast in the Barclays Premier League, Aylesbury FC got in on the act winning 5-3 at Leighton Town in a fiery encounter which saw both sides go down to 10 men on New Year’s Day.
On an eventful day and in FC’s first Evo-Stik League Southern Division One Central game back since December 8 FC striker Leon Osei stole the headlines as he first missed a penalty, grabbed an equaliser and saw red all in the first half.
Boss Craig Faulconbridge said: “We were a bit slow out of the blocks. When we got going we were firing past them.”
Leighton grabbed an early lead on after Ben Gallant struck only for Osei to then waste his chance from the spot.
Sonny French’s burst through saw FC draw level after he slotted home.
However, Faulconbridge’s men fell asleep as Neil Roberts put Leighton back into the lead.
With less than 30 minutes on the clock Osei made amends for his penalty when his weak shot was spilled into the net.
But again FC were pegged back by a Mark Burfoot chip before Osei and Leighton captain Jack Copson were both sent off for fighting.
The boss said: “He (Copson) was trying to wind him up. He kicked him and tried to punch him before the ball came to him.
“Leon saw red. He tried to hit him three times. He is not that type of person but he will be disciplined.”
The melee was made worse when a Leighton supporter tried to get involved.
Things settled down in the second half as French took control to grab his brace with Brian Haule matching his efforts.
FC host Northwood on Saturday (kick-off 3pm) in a game Faulconbridge called another ‘cup final’ and will be hoping the pitch is ready after recent downpours.
- Revealed: Map showing flightpaths if new airport is built in Vale
- Aylesbury man charged with trying to incite child under 16 into sexual activity
- ‘I’m not prepared to do this job and drive 600 miles a week’: Police chief defends expenses and ‘chauffeur’
- Pub makeover (combined with a subtle name change) aims to repair reputation
- ‘She will be greatly missed’: Family’s tribute to grandmother killed in car crash
- UPDATED: Aylesbury councillor apologises for ‘murderous Tories’ Twitter slur
- Serial vandals burn memorial seating by Aylesbury canal
- Mistreated dog found nearly twice healthy weight is put to sleep
- Evergreen but never stuck in a rut: Alan Candy road tests the Suzuki Jimny
- Two Aylesbury men jailed following death of cyclist in Terrick
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Aylesbury
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 11 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North