Pair found guilty after gym-goer’s death from industrial pesticide

Sean Cleathero
Sean Cleathero

Two men have been found guilty of supplying steroids to a father-of-one who died after taking a ‘fat-burning’ chemical.

Sean Cleathero died from a heart attack in 2012, aged 28, just hours after taking Dinitrophenol (DNP) at the Apollo Gym in High Wycombe.

DNP is an industrial pesticide not suitable for human consumption but is sometimes used as a fat-burner to rapidly lose weight.

Jason King, 43, of Dresser Close in Great Missenden and Peter Purkins, 48, of Heather Walk in Hazlemere, were found guilty of conspiracy to produce and supply class C steroids at the Old Bailey yesterday.

King was also found guilty of perverting the course of justice following the month-long trial.

Mr Cleathero’s mother, Sharon Ayres, said: “I take some comfort that Purkins and King have been found guilty of these offences.

“I hope this highlights the dangers and deters other people from supplying class C anabolic steroids and also DNP.”

Investigating officer Det Sgt Paul Quinton, from Major Crime in Aylesbury, said: “I am pleased for the family that this case has now concluded and these two men have been convicted. I know how difficult the last three years have been for them since the death of Sean.

“I hope this will act as a deterrent to those who may consider supplying similar substances and they understand there can be very serious consequences for all those involved. I hope similar tragedies can be avoided in the future.”

The pair are due to be sentenced at the Old Bailey on July 24.