New flood defences designed to prevent a repeat of flooding on the Willows estate in Aylesbury during the winter of 2013/14 have been rolled out this afternoon (Monday).
Residents have been putting up the emergency flood defence barrier, which stretches for up to half a mile, because of concerns that more rain in the next 48 hours could cause water to overflow from the nearby Stoke Brook.
Chris Durand who lives on the Willows estate said: “We have had a team of about five people rolling out the defences.
“They have done the first part of the barrier but I’m not sure if they will get it all put up because it’s getting dark.”
Lib Dem councillor Steve Lambert, who joined residents and fellow councillors Mike Smith and Stuart Jarvis to help deploy the barrier said he thought the brook level was high enough to cause concern.
Cllr Lambert said: “Thankfully, by pressing this temporary barrier into action now, any overflowing water won’t get a chance to reach residents’ homes, as it did nearly two years ago.”
The barrier was purchased last year as part of a flood defence kit bought for £245,000 with a government repair and renewal grant.
Earlier today, Mr Durand and other residents cleared the brook of debris to prevent it overflowing. He questionned the quality of the brook’s new trash screen.
He added: “The brook was within three inches of overflowing at one point this morning but we managed to get it down to one and a half foot.
“If the water is that high surely it should be recognised by the sensors?”
Eighty homes were affected by the flooding during 2013/14, which led to a trash screen being put across Stoke Brook.
Mr Durand added: “Residents are very worried about water getting into their houses.
“I have been there four times today to clear the brook of debris.
“People are not happy about that defence.”
Showers are forecast for tomorrow.