THE devastated son of an Aylesbury grandfather murdered in his own home has called on his killers to turn themselves in.
Tarik Charkaui said his father Mustapha would be ‘turning in his grave’ if he knew that the men responsible for his death five years ago were still at large so long after the murder.
Mr Charkaui, 57, died 12 days after he was attacked on March 12, 2007 in Dunsham Lane, in what police believe may have been a botched burglary.
He was hit over the head with a spade, and his wife Krystina suffered serious eye injuries, after two masked attackers broke into their home.
This week Tarik, 36, called on detectives to take a fresh look at the case, and called on the killers to ‘be brave’ and admit what they had done.
In a message directly to his father’s attackers, Tarik said: “You know you’ve committed the crime, come forward and be brave, just own up.
“I want to find out why it happened, why you picked my father.
“He had no enemies, so why take his life from him like that?”
And he said the family was frustrated with police efforts to catch the duo, calling for a fresh investigation.
Tarik said: “My father needs to be allowed to rest in peace, he would be turning in his grave knowing that the killers are still at large, thinking that they’ve got away with it.”
Father of four Tarik, who lives in Bedgrove, said he was frustrated at not being able to explain to his children why their grandfather is dead.
He said: “I can’t answer their questions. They see their school friends with their grandads, and they keep on asking me why their grandad was killed.
“My children are suffering.”
Tarik, an only child, said his mother is still traumatised after the attack, and the family will feel ‘trapped’ in the past until the attackers are brought to justice.
He claimed that it had been 18 months since he last spoke to detectives about the investigation, stating: “Five years is a long time for a case to go unsolved.
“I’ve had no information from them, I just want them to put a fresh team in charge of the investigation.
“They told me a year and a half ago that they were going to do a big appeal for the five year anniversary.
“Why haven’t they said to us that they’re going to be starting more enquiries, none of that is happening.”
The bereaved son called on anyone who knows who the killers are to report them to the police, stating: “These people are happy that they’ve got away with murder.
“The person who took my father could be next to you in a shop, Aylesbury’s not a big place.
“They need to be caught.”
Tarik said he remembers his father as a fun, caring person, who he was more like a brother than a father.
Det Supt Karen Trego, the Senior Investigating Officer in the case, said: “It has been five years since the horrific attack on Mustapha Charkaui and his wife at their home in Aylesbury. “While it is not possible to maintain high level resources we initially allocated to the investigation the case remains open. “We believe that local people in Aylesbury know who carried out this murder and that they may not have come forward for fear of retribution or misplaced loyalty.
“I appeal to these people to break their silence, come forward and help with the last few pieces of the jigsaw that will provide justice for the Charkaui family. “Thames Valley Police remains completely committed to catching those responsible for his murder and is still offering a substantial reward for information that leads to the arrests and conviction of the killer.
“Any new lines of enquiry will be rigorously pursued.”