This is the High Street in the 1920s seen from Market Square.
On the right is Midland Bank which opened in 1921. This is now HSBC.
The statue of Benjamin Disraeli next to it was unveiled a couple of years later.
The Crown Hotel in the centre was demolished in the 1930s soon after being completely refurbished. Such a waste. The licence was transferred to a new building at the rear called the Crown Tavern.
That too has since been demolished. In the 1980s a bar existed behind the bank called the Bull & Crown, marrying the names of the old Bulls Head with the Crown.
The Crown’s history stretched way back to the 16th century, long before the High Street was put in. It was once a coaching inn that dominated this end of Market Square.
Its layout was much like the King’s Head with its gateway entrance leading to a large yard at the rear.
When the High Street was built in the 1820s half of the old Crown had to be demolished.
A new building was erected on the site of the old entrance.