This photograph shows an area of Aylesbury that has completely vanished.
It was taken in 1967 at the top of Buckingham Road.
These buildings were opposite the Britannia pub.
The building on the left was a Primitive Methodist Chapel.
It was built in 1883 and would have seated 220 people.
Next to the chapel is Melrose House which was a doctor’s surgery.
Later in 1967 the chapel was demolished to allow for this end of New Street to be widened slightly.
A few years later Melrose House was demolished and for years all that remained on this corner was part of the front wall, behind which was an area of wasteland.
In the 1990s New Street was widened further and the old wall was removed and the corner taken back a few metres.