Innovative plans to build 50 new apartments above Friars Square Shopping Centre have been put forward.
The proposals, submitted by Leybourne Homes on behalf of Friars Square asset managers Grosvenor, could see a complete revamp of the current 26,000 sq ft 1960s building located just off Aylesbury’s Market Square.
The 50 apartments will also include an additional floor with five ‘striking’ penthouses, each of which will have ‘exceptional views of the surrounding countryside’, says the firm.
A number of apartments will be allocated to social renting and shared ownerships.
Helen Griffin, asset manager for Grosvenor, said: “A number of exciting plans are already in progress at the shopping centre that will enhance the retail offer at Friars Square.
“The plans for residential accommodation in the currently disused office space offer a new dimension that will bring further vitality and activity to Friars Square.
“Aylesbury town centre lacks residential provision at present and this planning application will meet this need and provide residents with all the amenities of town centre living.”
Meanwhile, director of Leybourne Homes, Russell Legg, says the plans will breathe new life into the town.
He said: “This site has lain vacant for almost three years with inevitable repercussions on the immediate vicinity.
“For the last 12 months we have worked with Grosvenor Asset Management, managers of the building and Friars Square shopping centre, to craft a feasible scheme that will regenerate and inject new life into this significant central area and give the town a real boost.
“Located within immediate access to town centre attractions including the shops and theatre, the bus and train stations are only a few minutes’ walk away.
“The height of the building offers great prospects to enjoy a superb view of the Buckinghamshire countryside.
“Aylesbury has recently been highlighted on the UK map as a hotspot for first time buyers so we know there is demand in the marketplace.”
These plans have been put forward to Aylesbury Vale District Council for consideration.
- Revealed: Map showing flightpaths if new airport is built in Vale
- Aylesbury man charged with trying to incite child under 16 into sexual activity
- ‘I’m not prepared to do this job and drive 600 miles a week’: Police chief defends expenses and ‘chauffeur’
- Pub makeover (combined with a subtle name change) aims to repair reputation
- ‘She will be greatly missed’: Family’s tribute to grandmother killed in car crash
- UPDATED: Aylesbury councillor apologises for ‘murderous Tories’ Twitter slur
- Serial vandals burn memorial seating by Aylesbury canal
- Mistreated dog found nearly twice healthy weight is put to sleep
- Evergreen but never stuck in a rut: Alan Candy road tests the Suzuki Jimny
- Two Aylesbury men jailed following death of cyclist in Terrick
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Aylesbury
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 11 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North