A prison officer has admitted to having an affair with a brutal murderer almost half her age at Aylesbury Young Offenders Institute.
The two-month relationship between Krista Rees, 36, of Arncott Way, Aylesbury, and 20-year-old Londoner Tobi Peters, was uncovered by her colleagues back in March.
It is the second time in recent years an affair has been exposed at the prison – in 2008 Kelly-Anne McDade was jailed after she became pregnant by inmate Nelson Delgado.
The relationship between Rees and Peters was discovered after officers searched Peters’ room, finding a mobile phone which showed 120 texts and 27 phone calls between the pair.
Peters – sentenced to life in 2009 for the savage murder of young Lyle Tullock – was put into segregation as punishment for having the phone, where Rees visited him twice without permission.
When Peters was spoken to by prison officers he admitted being in a relationship with Rees for two months and said she had provided him with the phone and paid for its credit.
A prison service spokesperson said: “A member of staff at Aylesbury has pleaded guilty to misconduct in a public office. She is suspended from work pending the outcome of court proceedings.
“The vast majority of staff are honest and law abiding but we are determined to deal with those who are not.”
Rees, a prison officer at Aylesbury for six years, was arrested on April 24 on suspicion of misconduct in a public office.
She was subsequently charged with the offence on July 30, and appeared at court at a later date where she pleaded guilty. Her sentencing will take place on October 8.
Tobi Peters, of Deptford, London, and fellow knife-wielding accomplice Damien Solobowale, stabbed 15-year-old Lyle Tulloch 13 times in 2008 after a row broke out over a mobile phone at a party.
The pair attacked Lyle in a Southwark stairwell, as he was suspected to have stolen the phone. He was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.
- Revealed: Map showing flightpaths if new airport is built in Vale
- Aylesbury man charged with trying to incite child under 16 into sexual activity
- ‘I’m not prepared to do this job and drive 600 miles a week’: Police chief defends expenses and ‘chauffeur’
- Pub makeover (combined with a subtle name change) aims to repair reputation
- ‘She will be greatly missed’: Family’s tribute to grandmother killed in car crash
- UPDATED: Aylesbury councillor apologises for ‘murderous Tories’ Twitter slur
- Serial vandals burn memorial seating by Aylesbury canal
- Mistreated dog found nearly twice healthy weight is put to sleep
- Evergreen but never stuck in a rut: Alan Candy road tests the Suzuki Jimny
- Two Aylesbury men jailed following death of cyclist in Terrick
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Aylesbury
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 11 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North