Illegal extensions built on a home without planning permission will be demolished after a man had his appeal rejected.
The Court of Appeal dismissed Mohammed Ilyas’ application and he is now required to carry out the work immediately.
Mr Ilyas, of Aylesbury Road, Aston Clinton, was given a three-month prison sentence last year after being found guilty of contempt of court for ignoring a High Court injunction requiring the demolition to be carried out by March 2011. He could face another prison term if he now fails to act.
The extensions have been the subject of a lengthy legal battle between Mr Ilyas and Aylesbury Vale District Council (AVDC).
Councillor Sue Polhill, cabinet member for planned development, said: “We have fought for a long time on behalf of local residents to remove the continued unwelcome presence of this unlawful scheme from the landscape.
“They should never have had to endure the nightmare of having this visually intrusive and overbearing development in their neighbourhood for all these years. I very much hope this will be the beginning of the end for the extensions.”
Planning permission was granted for the extensions in 2003, but a year later council officers spotted they were larger and appeared different to plans. Permission was given for an amended scheme, but Mr Ilyas did not stick to this.
Mr Ilyas was served with an enforcement notice in January 2008, which led to him being brought before magistrates in October 2009 and fined £5,000.
AVDC then secured the High Court injunction, which eventually led to Mr Ilyas being given a three-month prison sentence, to be suspended if demolition took place by May 18, 2011.
An appeal against this decision was dismissed but Mr Ilyas failed to comply with the injunction and was imprisoned.
- Chiltern Hills Rally revs back into action with record-breaking crowds
- Women revel in Race for Life at Waddesdon Manor
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in car crash near Tetsworth
- What a relief! Plans to build four runway international airport in Haddenham in 2030 officially scrapped
- Sculptor’s naked fat lady riding a 19ft dinosaur set to turn heads at Chelsea Garden Show
- Two Aylesbury men jailed following death of cyclist in Terrick
- Evergreen but never stuck in a rut: Alan Candy road tests the Suzuki Jimny
- Tasty meal showcases good work of Aylesbury prison following ‘negative’ TV documentary
- Man sleeps rough to draw focus on plight of homeless
- UPDATED: Aylesbury councillor apologises for ‘murderous Tories’ Twitter slur
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Aylesbury
Monday 20 May 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North