What was already a slow rush-hour journey through Aylesbury seems to have become worse this week, and social media has been inundated with people venting their frustration.
Scores of people have taken to Twitter to discuss the town’s problems and suggest ways to improve the situation, including a bypass and a park and ride system.
Mark Willis (@AylesburySting) suggested the town needs better public transport and ‘cycling and walking infrastructure’, while @_aylesbury said having office and light industrial units on the outskirts of town, rather than in the centre, would help.
Conservative Councillor Mark Winn tweeted: “As cllr who lives in centre town commutes from every day well aware of Aylesbury gridlock.”
Lib Dem group leader, Councillor Steven Lambert, tweeted: “It wouldn’t be gridlock if we had better and cheaper buses and the park and ride was finally built!”
However, some of the Twitter suggestions should probably be taken with a pinch of salt. Volf (@VolfMech) said: “Can I get a helicopter or jetpack, so I can get to work outside of Aylesbury on time then?”
Bucks Herald reporter Marcus Chippindale (@MarcusBucksH) is meeting with Transport for Bucks today to discuss traffic issues in Aylesbury, for a feature which will appear soon.
If you have any thoughts on the town’s problems or suggestions on how to solve them please leave your comments below.
- Revealed: Map showing flightpaths if new airport is built in Vale
- Aylesbury man charged with trying to incite child under 16 into sexual activity
- ‘I’m not prepared to do this job and drive 600 miles a week’: Police chief defends expenses and ‘chauffeur’
- Pub makeover (combined with a subtle name change) aims to repair reputation
- ‘She will be greatly missed’: Family’s tribute to grandmother killed in car crash
- UPDATED: Aylesbury councillor apologises for ‘murderous Tories’ Twitter slur
- Serial vandals burn memorial seating by Aylesbury canal
- Mistreated dog found nearly twice healthy weight is put to sleep
- Evergreen but never stuck in a rut: Alan Candy road tests the Suzuki Jimny
- Two Aylesbury men jailed following death of cyclist in Terrick
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Aylesbury
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 11 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North