An Aylesbury man has lost his appeal against having to do 300 hours unpaid work for fraudulently claiming more than £11,000 in benefits.
Abdul Wahid, of Eskdale Road, was convicted last month at Aylesbury Magistrates Court but appealed on the grounds that he had made some council tax repayments.
His appeal to reduce the 300 hours sentence was dismissed after it was ruled that the punishment was ‘appropriate’. Mr Wahid was investigated by Aylesbury Vale District Council’s fraud investigation team.
The team discovered he had failed to declare £100,000 in undeclared accounts – benefits are not paid to those with savings in excess of £16,000.
Through failing to declare the savings, Mr Wahid fraudulently obtained £9,665 in housing benefit and £1,507 in council tax benefit between May 2010 and December 2011.
The council was awarded £520 in costs and the overpaid benefits are being recovered from Mr Wahid.
Neil Blake, AVDC cabinet member for resources, said: “I am pleased that the sentence has been upheld as this sends a clear and simple message to fraudsters. If you commit benefit fraud you could end up in court.
“Benefit fraud will not be tolerated and we will do all in our power to recover taxpayers’ money.
“People should also take note that any overpayment is repayable in full in all circumstances.”
> AVDC operates a benefit fraud hotline via 01296 585570.
- Revealed: Map showing flightpaths if new airport is built in Vale
- Aylesbury man charged with trying to incite child under 16 into sexual activity
- ‘I’m not prepared to do this job and drive 600 miles a week’: Police chief defends expenses and ‘chauffeur’
- Pub makeover (combined with a subtle name change) aims to repair reputation
- ‘She will be greatly missed’: Family’s tribute to grandmother killed in car crash
- UPDATED: Aylesbury councillor apologises for ‘murderous Tories’ Twitter slur
- Serial vandals burn memorial seating by Aylesbury canal
- Mistreated dog found nearly twice healthy weight is put to sleep
- Evergreen but never stuck in a rut: Alan Candy road tests the Suzuki Jimny
- Two Aylesbury men jailed following death of cyclist in Terrick
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Aylesbury
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 10 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North