Insects spark church 999 call

St Mary's Church in Aylesbury
St Mary's Church in Aylesbury

Firefighters rushed to St Mary’s Church in Aylesbury after reports of sparks coming from its roof.

However, Bucks Fire and Rescue Service said the ‘spark effect was caused by moths attracted to the halogen light on the church roof’.

They classed the incident as a false alarm with good intent and added: “If in doubt, call 999.”

Two engines were sent to the church, along with an officer, on Saturday evening.