Firefighters breathe new life into dragon

Firefighters gave oxygen to a bearded dragon after a fire in a reptile tank at a home in Aylesbury

Firefighters gave oxygen to a bearded dragon after a fire in a reptile tank at a home in Aylesbury

0
Have your say

Fire crews gave oxygen to a bearded dragon after a blaze broke out in its reptile tank.

Firefighters were called to an address in Elmhurst Road, Aylesbury, just before 1pm today (Monday), after a lamp inside the tank dropped on to sawdust on the tank floor.

The tank was partly damaged by fire and the bedroom was smoke-logged.

Two crews attended and after using a PPV fan gave oxygen to the animal.

Bucks Fire and Rescue communication manager Fraser Pearson said: “Firefighters put the reptile in a kitchen bin, set up an oxygen cylinder, trailed a lead from the cylinder into the bin and put the lid on.

“After five to ten minutes in an atmosphere enriched by oxygen it breathed new life into the dragon!

“The occupants were actually alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm so that just shows what a vital job these alarms do.”